There are hundreds of colleges out there, so starting your college search can be overwhelming. Fortunately, we can help get you on the right path.
You might have a good idea of what program you want to go into, or what state you want to attend college in, or you might have no idea what you want in a college. No matter how much you’ve thought about what you want in a college, starting the search is intimidating.
Here are some ways you can get started:
· Talk to your family. Did your parents attend college? How about your aunts and uncles? Any older siblings? It’s important to talk to your family to get some ideas about potential colleges to apply to, but also to learn what they liked and didn’t like about their experience.
· Talk to your counselors. Your high school guidance counselors have been through this before. Bounce some ideas off them, or get some new ones. They’re always there to help.
· Go to college fairs. Pay attention to dates for college fairs, and shop around. It’s the perfect opportunity to learn about all kinds of new colleges and programs.
· Check your mail. Many colleges opt for a mail-based advertising system, and their pamphlets can be very informative. Read your mail regularly and get a feel for the different colleges trying to get your attention.
· Use social media. Almost every college has a Facebook page or Twitter account. Look there and interact with their page if you’re comfortable and you have a few questions.
Once you start looking for colleges, you’ll feel much better about the search. Over time, you’ll find a handful of colleges that you fall in love with, and one perfect option to attend.
Sign up for a free trial of BOLD Guidance software to help make your search easier!