Finding great schools to apply to is tough, but using these top five qualities can help you narrow down the field and find perfect choices for consideration.
Your college choices are practically infinite, and if you’re just starting the application process, you probably feel overwhelmed. Sorting through the thousands of available schools and finding the perfect fit for you might seem like an insurmountable challenge, but try not to overthink it. Consider schools that exemplify these five qualities:
1. Geographical Location. Are you looking for something close to home so you can stay with your family easily on weekends? Or are you looking to get away from your hometown and see a different part of the country? The geographical location is a major determining factor in your college decision.
2. Degree Specialties. Are you going to school with a specific major already in mind? Look for schools with great programs in those fields. If not, look for schools with a wide range of options and schools that allow for easy credit transfers in case you make up your mind later.
3. Atmosphere. What type of experience are you looking for? Something prestigious, with an air of history? Or something down-to-earth and friendly, with an air of community? You can get a feel for the atmosphere of a school just by walking around campus and talking to people.
4. Size. Size is another important quality to consider. Do you want a big, city-like atmosphere with thousands of new people to meet? Or something a little more close-knit and interactive?
5. Instinct. Trust yourself. If, on your first run-through, a school seems like a great fit, it probably is on some level. If it isn’t, it probably isn’t.
Choosing schools to apply to isn’t the same as making a final college decision. For now, apply to as many schools as you can that interest you. If you’re looking for a way to make the application process easier, why not try our software, free for a limited time?